Thursday, February 17, 2011

Garage Plans




Shirt: BCBGeneration     Pants: Insight     Shoes: Seychelles
We are still in what people affectionately call our "starter home." Don't get me wrong, the house is great for us. It is cute and affordable and in an awesome location ... but it is pretty small. There are only two of us so small is fine. There just isn't any extra space. That is why my husband's "man room" is the garage. Ha!
I NEVER go out there. I mean seriously never. Not even once a month I don't think. It is detached from our house and neither of us park in it so I really have no reason to. But, I got inspired by this lurking object behind my house and thought I would brave the inside ... alone. No it's not really scary at all but you know what I mean.
The flag behind me is the Flag of Heroes. It has the names of all of the emergency services personnel who gave their lives during the 9/11 attacks.  My husband is a firefighter so this really means a lot to us. The first year we were dating we went to New York for a quick weekend right after Ryan's birthday. We were there the weekend of September 19. Since this was really soon after the anniversary of the terrorist attacks there were tons of flowers left all around the memorials by family members of those who lost their lives on 9/11. It was incredibly moving to be at the sight of the tragedy with a fireman who means the world to me looking at the memorials left for the emergency personnel who meant the world to their loved ones ... I can't even explain the emotions. My father-in-law was also a fireman and when he retired he gave his bunker gear to Ryan and we have that hanging in front of the Flag of Heroes. It is our way of honoring those brave men and women who gave their lives trying to save the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment