Sunday, September 11, 2011

Red White & Blue

I honestly cannot believe it is already the 10th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. My mom always talks about how everyone she knows will always remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard that President Kennedy was shot. The same holds true for 9/11. I was in my freshman year of high school and I was sitting in my science class when the news channels started airing footage and reporting on the World Trade Center plane crashes. I remember all of us filling in as close as we could in the library so that we could see the television and watching in horror as the details of the attacks just kept getting worse and worse. People's parents started calling immediately. I don't know for sure but I think just about every person in my high school went home early that day. It was a day to be close to loved ones and to try and make sense of what was happening. No sense could be made I suppose.
Today I proudly wear red, white and blue to symbolize the land of the free, to show my support of our troops and to acknowledge this horrific anniversary.





Top: Parker
Skirt: See You Monday
Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell

RT's birthday is the 16th and a few years ago we went to NYC for the weekend of the 19th-21st to celebrate. He had never been to New York so we did a lot in those two days, one of which was to visit Ground Zero. To be there with a firefighter who is so near and dear to me made that experience completely heart breaking. Our visit was so soon after the anniversary that year and all kinds of flowers were laying all over the place. On the side of fire station no.10 we saw a man with his small son leaving flowers and his son asked him what they were doing and why he was crying. The dad replied that he was just saying hi to an old friend that he misses very much. I could not help but to cry myself. So many brave and innocent people were lost that day and I hurt for everyone of them and for all of those who love them.  My pictures from that trip are of horrible quality because our camera broke as we were trying to take our first picture of the weekend so we had to buy a disposable. Nevertheless here are some pictures we took at the fire station closest to ground zero.




A few weeks ago I was watching Live with Regis and Kelly and they showed a video of a soldier who gave his family a surprise homecoming at a MLB game. It was such a touching video. His wife and his two young daughters were so surprised and the entire family was sobbing. I wanted to post that video today but I can't because of copyright laws. When I looked for it I just went to you tube and searched "soldier surprises family at baseball game" he is kneeling on the ground at the beginning. Search it. It is so moving! I cannot imagine what it is like to have to say goodbye to a loved one as they are going to defend our country. They deserve every bit of respect and honor that could ever be bestowed upon them. I thank God every day that I live in the country that I do and that there are so many brave men and women who are willing to risk everything to defend our country. Thank You to all of the United States Armed Forces!! You are all amazing!

1 comment: